Most Americans have dental fillings in their mouth. They are a common dental service that is used to protect teeth and repair damage. Our dental team at Family Dental Care provide high-quality treatments that last, but how can you extend the life of your dental fillings? Continue reading on to get the answer.
How Long Do Fillings Last?
Typically, composite resin (tooth colored) fillings can last around ten years and have a lifespan similar to the that of an amalgam (metal) filling. Metal is found to work well for larger fillings. An overly large cavity or damaged area may require additional restoration, such as a crown, inlay, or onlay.
How Can I Keep My Fillings Healthy?
Regardless of what type of filling you have already received, there are practical steps you can take to help keep your filling healthy and lasting for a longer period of time. Below are a few helpful tips:
- Regular brushing twice a day and flossing once a day at least.
- Frequent visits to the office for dental exams and cleanings at least twice a year. These visits allow our team to check up on the state of the filling.
- Quitting the habit of smoking will not only protect your overall health, but will keep your teeth from decay.
- Eating a healthy and well-balanced diet ensures a good smile and limiting sugary foods helps to prevent cavities.
- Contacting our dental office if you experience any signs of discomfort or a loose filling will help to protect the restoration.
If you are interested in a restorative treatment for your smile, then contact our Family Dental Care staff today for assistance or information on the services we offer. Call us to schedule your next dental exam and cleaning!