The most unfortunate fact about dentistry is that many patients only heed dental care services when they have an underlying oral problem. As is, many consider dentists as curative experts for all underlying oral-related problems. While this may be in their jurisdiction, it should not be the only way you see dental experts.
In fact, others take the matter further, so that they only go to dental clinics when the oral issues have advanced and are rather dental emergencies. Thankfully, there is an entire specialty in dentistry designed to cater to all such oral issues.
What Is Emergency Dentistry?
It is a branch of dentistry that majors in quick dental treatments offered to patients with emergency dental issues. Dental emergencies are defined as severe and urgent oral problems that stand to threaten the entire oral health of a patient. Usually, emergencies occur abruptly, which is why they are very alarming to patients.
Emergency dental care exists to treat oral emergencies that must be handled urgently, with a huge amount of pressure mounting, usually from the patient. As you will learn from a dental ER near you, emergency dentists play a significant role in the overall health of your oral cavity.
5 Core Benefits of Emergency Dental Care
Unless you have been served by a 24-hour dentist near you, you may not quite understand how important they are to your oral health. They do not just serve a supportive role in your oral health. Some of the incredible benefits linked to emergency dental services include the following:
- Slowing progression of oral problems – many mild and moderate oral issues end up being dental emergencies because of progression. When an oral issue is left untreated, it leaves ample room for the problem to escalate, advancing and progressing in severity and complexity. By the time you are seeking dental emergency services, the problem is already advanced. Without immediate intervention, however, there is still room for the problem to get worse. This is why urgent dental care is paramount.
- Saving teeth – when on the verge of losing your natural tooth permanently, you need an emergency dentist to attend to you. Teeth can be restored in your mouth even if they are knocked out. The process, however, is meticulous and relies largely on timeliness. Either way, if you have an opportunity to save your natural teeth, wouldn’t you rather take it?
- Alleviating pain – many of the dental issues that are presented in dental emergency rooms are related to heightened pain levels. From toothaches to pain from injuries, treating pain is not a novel concept in emergency dentistry. The goal, however, is not to temporarily get rid of your pain, as is the case when you take over-the-counter medication. Instead, dentists in emergency dentistry focus on treating the underlying cause of pain to completely alleviate your pain.
- Restoring the functionality of the oral cavity – when you have an oral emergency, it not only limits but in many cases completely halts the functioning of the mouth. If pain will not stop you from using your mouth, then other issues like extensive bleeding, swelling, or broken oral features, will stand in the way of optimal functionality. In that case, the role of a Munster dentist in urgent dental care is to ensure that the functionality of your oral cavity of fully restored. This ranges from replacing oral appliances, repairing broken features, and treating any symptoms that inhibit optimal oral functionality.
- Reducing the further risk of infection – an infection in one part of your oral cavity has the potential to threaten your entire mouth when it starts spreading. If an infection is not treated properly, it can spread to other parts of the mouth. Dental experts in emergency dentistry, thereof, treat the core cause of infection, therefore, preventing the further risk of infection.
Should You Visit an Emergency Dentist Near You?
If you have an urgent dental problem, you have no option but to rely on the emergency dentist nearest you. Only emergency dental experts are skilled and experienced enough to handle different dental emergencies with the kind of urgency and care they demand. Besides, would you rather maintain a healthy and functional mouth or keep experiencing pain from your oral issue?