Are you affected by worn tooth enamel, uneven tooth alignment, discoloration, or chips and cracks on your teeth? Do you desire the Hollywood smile but are trying to understand how you can have it? Why not consider seeking help from porcelain veneers helpful for giving you beautifully aligned and shapely teeth in a couple of visits to your dentist’s office?
If you are convinced with our description, let us inform you natural-looking veneers are incredibly popular with many people, including celebrities who have all sorts of dental imperfections concealed with these ultra-thin shells of porcelain over the front surfaces of their teeth. You, too, can have them correct your dental deficiencies and join thousands of people who have beautiful teeth and a pleasing smile by visiting your dentist to evaluate whether you are suitable for dental veneers.
What Dental Imperfections Can Porcelain Veneers Resolve?
Regardless of the causes of your imperfect teeth, porcelain veneers can solve all or most of your cosmetic dental concerns. The most common reasons why people are opting for dental veneers include:
- Wear and Tear: Your teeth begin wearing down with age making them more vulnerable to developing chips, cracks, and an uneven appearance. Porcelain veneers help restore the natural occurrence of healthy and youthful teeth.
- Worn Enamel: Your tooth enamel becomes worn or dull naturally over time consuming soft drinks, coffee, tea, or using certain medications. Genetic predisposition can also result in the wearing of the enamel. Porcelain veneers are excellent for correcting smiles affected by worn enamel.
- Genetics: Some people have abnormal spacing between their teeth since birth, widening with aging.
- Uneven Teeth: Regular grinding and clenching your teeth results in wear and tear, leading to malocclusion besides cosmetic smile problems. Porcelain veneers can help correct the issue by concealing the uneven teeth making them look neat and beautiful.
- Discoloration: Tooth discoloration of the stubborn variety unresponsive to whitening treatments is comfortably treated with porcelain veneers giving you a simple solution for the problem.
Are You a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
To determine your candidature for porcelain veneers, you must schedule a preliminary consultation with your dentist. At this time, you undergo an evaluation of your oral health and receive information on all treatments available to correct your dental imperfections. Your dentist will not rush you through the porcelain veneer process because the therapy involves tooth enamel removal past the dentin, an irreversible procedure. If you decide with your dentist porcelain veneers are the best option for you, the next step involves reviewing the treatment details besides preparing your teeth for the specific veneer procedure essential to make them look and fit correctly.
The porcelain veneer process is completed in a couple of visits spanning over three to four weeks. The visits to your dentist are comprehensive, requiring several hours of examination and preparation. You can request local anesthesia if you are uncomfortable with the veneer procedure.
After giving you local anesthesia, your dentist begins preparing the tooth or teeth by minimally reshaping it with help from handheld devices to accommodate the porcelain surfaces. If you have chosen porcelain veneers, your teeth and mouth impressions are taken to the dental laboratory to customize your porcelain surfaces.
Advances in dentistry now allow many dentists to use CAD/CAM technology to fabricate veneers in the dental office. In such cases, you can have the surfaces over your teeth in one visit to the dentist. However, if your dentist doesn’t have the technology, you may have to wait for three to four weeks with temporary veneers over your prepared teeth until the dental laboratory returns your surfaces.
When you revisit the dentist for veneer placement, the process begins with temporary veneer removal and placement of your permanent surfaces. After cementing your permanent veneers, your dentist evaluates and adjusts them to ensure optimal fit and color.
Porcelain Veneer Recovery and After-Care
Porcelain veneers are incredibly durable, lasting for over 15 years before they require replacements. However, you must ensure you follow the veneers care instructions your dentist provides because chipped or broken porcelain veneers need replacements because they are irreparable. In addition, your dentist may advise you not to have certain foods or use your teeth for purposes other than biting or chewing.
You must brush and floss your teeth using nonabrasive toothpaste and get regular checkups and cleanings to ensure your dental health is in optimal shape. However, if you desire the Hollywood smile, there is no better option than considering porcelain veneers to hide your dental imperfections within a few weeks.